Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg slightly worries me

I feel like I may have recently cracked the human genome secret or something. I now know what everyone else is doing with their lives – they’re spending it on Facebook!

As a sad latecomer to the wonders of social-networking, I’ve done the equivalent of the 0 to 100 in 60 seconds type conversion and even forgot to feed the children lunch on Sunday I was so absorbed looking at everyone else’s friends.

It’s the ultimate 21st century toy, isn’t it? It’s pleasantly voyeuristic in it’s ability to keep an eye on the cosy Global Village (the twitching net curtains aspect). It has the ability to adopt a rather carefree - dare I say it vaguely teenage laizez faire attitude to everything (“OMG you have hairy arms!!!!!!!!”) and it has the wonderful ability to allow you to edit your life as you would like it to be. Have to say, I’m completely hooked.

I do find this whole “do you want to be my friend” thing rather nerve-wracking and am left wondering who said “definitely not, stupid cow”. I’m also intrigued that there is only a ‘Like’ button and not a ‘Don’t Like’ one for the sake of keeping everything upbeat. I’m also now slightly freaked out that people are going to post hideous pictures of me, particularly ones where your face is sliding off after 25 Painkillers and have filed a new memo to self not to get drunk in public anymore (not that I ever do, of course).

The age-democracy thing, in that ones friends teenage children can read all the stuff you normally only talk about when they have left the room, also slightly unnerves me and what's with the Greta Garbo ones where it says So and So only shares some information with certain people – is that the equivalent to the  Facebook VIP Lounge or something?

Best of all however, is the mercenary ability to manage friendships where you can just Unfriend’ (is this a new verb?) someone and literally switch them off. So easy, so mess-free - oh for that to translate to the real world!

But who needs the real world when you’ve got FB hey?

No comments:

Post a Comment