Monday, May 23, 2011

Enraptured


Shot in the Bahamas by Annie Liebowitz
Well, we’re all still here. No-one (we know) was raptured off. Of course there was an 'End of the World' Braai on Saturday evening, where we ate lots of delicious potjie and boerewors, whilst humming Abigail's brilliant End of the World playlist including REM ("it's the end of the world as we know it") and Blondie (Rapture) . Any excuse for a party, not that you need one here.

The Facebook fascination has already waned a bit since I’ve realized that my rather waspish sense of humour probably doesn’t translate too well onto jaunty Facebookland – so I’m switching myself off, and will resist the urge to make witty remarks, especially after a few Rum & Tings.
  
Shaun Tomson  at 55
The other shock of FB is the age thing. I’ve managed to delude myself for quite a long time that I’m not actually looking my age yet and that on Bad Days when I look about a 100, it’s blamed on the angle/the light/the children/lack of sleep or whatever I can think of really and consider it a passing thing. The reality of course is brought home when you see your peers and how they look now - which is, um, ur, well ......older.  Oy Gewildt (as my favourite and now re-connected house mate, living in Sydney, would say) my delusions have vanished and I'm off for Botox at Christmas (not that my friends arn't beautiful, just a little bit greyer!).

felt I needed to cheer myself up with some glamorous images of gorgeous Wrinklies – like this super-divine one of Sean Connery at 78 years.  I'm not usually one for pin-ups, but isn’t this seriously good Older Girls crumpet?

Older Girls Crumpet #2 has to be Shaun Tomson, all-round Surfing Hero and Fabulous Fella. A Saffa too. (it was Laird Hamilton, but I reconsidered this. Sorry Laird!). I had this huge poster of Shaun on  my teenage wall, shining down on me. Once a surfer-girl...

Laird, however, is now a SUP hero and  I did like what he had to say (click here) about how people (like me) can SUP, so Laird, you inspired me to get up - without my Zimmer frame - onto a surfboard again, so thank you!

OK that’s enough perving for one day, though I was just starting to enjoy myself here.  I might have to carry on with this ‘research’ – it has definitely cheered me up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment