Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year

 
 
Georgie's Lego Candelabra
We had a really lovely New Years Eve at home with a fabulous meal set with all the linen, crystal & silver and then some pyrotechnics on the balcony. Most of us managed to last out until Midnight, but some of us had to be woken up to be informed that it was the new year. Then we carried on sleeping and had a super lazy New Years Day doing absolutely nothing. I cannot remember a day when we all did nothing but sleep, eat and read.
 
Today is the last day of our holidays (the Bakery is already open) and I thought I'd better do my post now as I already have that slight tight throat and queezy tummy feeling which comes with a To Do List the length of my arm. I can also see that my temper is already shortening again. Holidays, whilst very welcome are also a little bit cruel, as just as you are starting to relax and the deep purple shadows are fading under ones eyes, it's back into the maelstrom again slightly off-kilter for having switched off a bit.  Many people are already back at work so my Blackberry is pinging and I'm currently working on the bakery accounts. There are cupboards to tidy, school clothes to sort out, fridges to clean and the usual mound of washing. I have to keep reminding myself that these are the Wonder Years, but they are - really!

Our new awning
We are looking forward to 2013, not that 2012 was bad or anything, just tough. Our plans are much the same as last year and 2013 will hopefully see the bakery mature.  We will soon start wholesaling with another oven and a van being acquired, although we are enjoying having the little bakery shop. We are also planning our first family visit back to South Africa & England in August (it would have been almost 3 years since we had left) which will be a highlight of the year. There are some other big changes in the air, but these will depend on how the bakery does. 

I continue to enjoy writing the blog despite the fact that our lives don't deviate much from the baking-working-sailing-housework routine. It does mean that we haven't dropped off the face of the earth - which some predicted would happen when we moved here and I know the grandmas like seeing pictures of the kids. I'm still of a mind to password it fairly soon however, but I still need more family and friends to go onto Facebook so that I can do this. Interestingly, although I write this to keep in touch with family & friends off the island, the biggest readership is now on the island. I even had two people (who I didn't know) discussing it in front of me at the bakery (not realising that I was the writer). They were remarking on how my house was always filthy and had possibly missed the slightly self-depreciating tone that I use, but I wasn't going to correct them, was I?

To all our friends - both here and absent - we hope everyone stays safe, healthy and prosperous. Our biggest hope however is either to see you or hear from you so please stay in touch!

 Here's to 2013. Day 2.

Holidays at home. Just noticed the dog on the cushion. Also William seems to only own one TShirt.






No comments:

Post a Comment