Thursday, August 25, 2011

Hurricane Irene and Winslow Homer


We still await news from the Bahamas, post Hurricane Irene which should have passed over by tonight, onwards & upwards. We were pretty lucky here in the BVI and things are already back to normal.

I've been collecting Caribbean ephemera for some time, which was not always the most obvious or easy thing to do when living in Africa.  I'd long been intrigued by these beautiful, slightly bleak images that kept cropping up. So much so, that when I finally decided last week that I really wanted to know/buy/pin down who the artist was, I actually Googled "retro 1950's Caribbean hurricane paintings" on eBay,  as you do.

Amazingly, I found my images. More amazingly they were by Winslow Homer, the 19th Century American 'romantic' painter, who most people - including me, would probably associate with slightly over-blown heroic sea pictures with people clinging to boats and rocks. Stuffy yacht club pictures.  

However Mr Homer must have spent some time in the Bahamas with his water-colour kit (and possibly some rum?) and produced these wonderful paintings that still resonate even today with our modern day Caribbean hurricanes. 

Sadly, although I had optimistically looked them up an eBay,  finding out that they are by Winslow Homer rather rules out any possibility of acquiring one. I might just however, be in for buying my first 'print'.  I really love them.



2 comments:

  1. they do not look like Winslow Homer AT ALL ... and so beautiful too....!! I agree with you. But how did you fair so well when New York is EVACUATING ?!?! Love there, xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot believe the level of hysteria/lack of other news. Florida radio stations were even playing Green Day/U2 "Rising Sun/Saints" song a la Katrina today, for crying out loud. How are you in downtown Detroit? x

    ReplyDelete